Saturday, July 24, 2010

Trust


On Friday I went to see the first preview of Trust, a new play showing at Second Stage. I have a ticket for a while because I'll go see anything that Sutton Foster is in. This is the first time I have seen her in a play, all the others were musicals. The synopsis is pretty vague about the show and that made it all the more intriguing. So it ends up that Foster plays Prudence, a dominatrix who runs into a guy from high school, Harry (Zach Braff). They end of grabbing coffee at the Tic Toc (which is the diner in my building!) and Harry invites her over to meet his wife. Harry sold his business for a ton of money (something like $300 million) and now just manages it through his foundation. His marriage is blah and does not know what to do to make it better. Prudence has a boyfriend who is controlling and abusive. To much disclosure and the four enter into a twisted web of lies and blackmail.

Recently I have become obssessed with set design. The picture shows the set before the show began, but each wall opened to allow other sets to come out: the sofa from an apartment, the bed for a bedroom and the office. The were chic and minimal and really helped to shape the show. I can't wait to see it again!

No comments: